Newcastle Village and District Historical Society header image

Spring 2021 Newsletter Excerpts

– Posted in: News

The Dutch in Clarington

By Myno Van Dyke

Netherlands Ambassador Dr. J.H. van Roijin and Mrs. van Roijin greeting Dutch immigrants arriving by ship in Montreal, June 1947Prior to WW2, Dutch Emigration to Canada was minimal. The year 1929 saw about 2,500 emigrants make their way to Canada; many came to farm in the Prairie Provinces. After World War 1, the supply of free or cheap land in the North and the Prairies declined rapidly. Immigration essentially came to a standstill during Second World War. By then, more Canadians were moving from farms and rural communities to the cities, which left a lot of employment opportunities in agriculture for those wishing to come to Canada.

Read more…

Three Identical Houses

By Leslie Wilson

106 and 118 King St. East todayMany houses, like all people, change considerably in appearance over the years. Did you know that 106 King Ave. East Newcastle (currently the Sunrise Griddle) and 118 King Ave. East Newcastle (currently Newcastle Hearing Solutions) began life as identical twins? In fact they had an identical triplet sibling; the miller’s house at 612 Mill St. South, in Bond Head!

Read more…

Winter 2021 Newsletter – Excerpts

– Posted in: News

Ray & Mabel Goode

By Myno Van Dyke

Ray and Mabel GOodOccasionally, I will feature some of the great people who were the early members and builders of the Newcastle Village and District Historical Society. This article is about Ray and Mabel Goode. Although they lived in Orono, they had a wonderful and generous relationship with Newcastle.


Mabel Lillian Clemence, was born October 8, 1923 at Lot 1, Concession 1 in Darlington Township. This farm property, called “Spruce Grove” was on the north side of Highway 2, just west of the Darlington/Clarke Townline. Her parents were William John Clemence, who was born in Hope Township, and Georgina Allan, who was from Fenelon Falls, Ontario. Mabel had 3 sisters, Mary, Isabelle (Sacerty) and Jean (Holmes) and 3 brothers, Allan, Charlie and Art. Their property was originally owned by William McIntosh. This house was originally built in 1828 and the Bemis family lived there at one time.

Read more…

Newcastle Community Hall Gets Exterior Facelift

By Crystal Yaki

Newcastle Community HallBeginning in the late fall of last year, the historic Newcastle Community Hall has been undergoing an extensive renovation. The Municipality of Clarington has arranged for IRC Building Sciences Group to restore this historic building. The famous clock tower will have the clock faces repaired, along with the exterior wooden structure. Much of the work involved to restore the clock and other areas of the building will require that parts are removed and reconstructed off-site to match the original details of the hall.

Read more…

And browse all our previous newsletters