The Newcastle Village and District Historical Society, in Newcastle, Ontario was formed by a group of citizens in 1981 to preserve and promote the cultural heritage of the former Village of Newcastle and its immediate environs. Today, we have an extensive collection of artifacts, documents and photographs and offer help with research into the history of the area, including its businesses and families.

We are located in the former public library in the Newcastle Community Hall. We have permanent and special displays in the historical room and are open to the public. We are a registered charity, supported by our almost 200 members, local sponsors and donors, with some additional assistance from the Town of Clarington and the Government of Canada (Canada Summer Jobs). We welcome all new members and donors!


News & Events

Christmas cookies

NVHDS Christmas Open House

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Come meet the directors and your fellow members and enjoy lots of Christmas treats, mulled cider and Christmas music. We’ll be open from 9:30 a.m. to noon and look forward to seeing you all!

NVDHS Float 2022 with Sher Leetooze and Lisa Whitehawk

Newcastle Santa Parade 2022

A slide show of the 2022 parade held in Newcastle on Sunday, November 20. Thanks to Willie Woo for most of the photos!

Descendants of those involved in creation of Community Hall

Fall 2022 Newsletter Excerpts

Keeping Newcastle neat for over 100 years

One of Newcastle’s longest-running community organizations, the Newcastle Horticultural Society was created and joined the Ontario Horticultural Association in 1914. Adopting the smooth wild rose as their emblem and “Newcastle the Neat” as their slogan, horticultural society members have shared their love of gardening and made a significant contribution to various gardens across Newcastle for over 100 years.

The NHS operates as an all-volunteer, registered charity. The first president was Newcastle doctor Dr. John A. Butler, who also chaired the Building Committee for the new Community Hall (celebrating its 100th birthday this year and next) and served as village Reeve in the 1920s.

The society’s activities have long been intertwined with the Newcastle Community Hall, from early planting efforts to major capital projects. In 2011, the society partnered with the Newcastle Community Hall Board and Clarington to create a Heritage Garden at the hall. 

1890s Garden Party attendees

1890s Garden Party – the video

Thank you to NVDHS member Les Harris for videoing the event! A wonderful time was had by all.
Newcastle Village and District Historical Society table displaying artifacts at Orono Fair

Come see us at the Fair!

The historical society will be at the Orono Fair from Friday, September 8, to Sunday, September 11. Fair grounds are located at 2 Princess St., Orono. Follow signs to gates and parking.

NVDHS hours at Orono Fair:

  • Friday: 12 noon – 6 p.m.
  • Saturday: 12 noon – 6 p.m.
  • Sunday: 12 noon to 4 p.m.
Victorian Garden Tea

NVDHS 1890s Garden Party

Saturday, August 13
1-4 p.m., in the park behind the Library

Get your tickets today and join us in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Newcastle Village and District Historical Society at an 1890s Garden Party, complete with 1890s prices. Dress up and compete in 1890s attire – or come as you are.

Enjoy 1890s Refreshments, Children’s Games, Costume Contests (men, women, children), Music by the Orono Town Band and Displays by the Culinary Historians of Canada, & NVDHS at 1890s prices! Adults: 25¢ and Children: 10¢

Myno van Dyke + Jean Rickard

July 1, 2022 Celebrations Part 2

100th Anniversary of the Laying of the Newcastle Community Hall Cornerstone Photo Gallery

The July 1 celebrations continued into the afternoon, centred around the Newcastle Community Hall and the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the laying of the Hall’s cornerstone in 1922. Events featured special displays by the NVDHS in the Historical Room and in the Centennial Room of the hall, demonstrations by the Soper Valley Model Railroad Association, a BBQ fundraiser by the Newcastle Lions, period music from the Dave Climenhage Band, cake and refreshments, and speeches from event MC Myno van Dyke and Clarington Mayor Adrian Foster.

Canada Day Parade

July 1, 2022 Celebrations

Drive-by Parade Photo Gallery

Opening the festivities on July 1, was Newcastle’s drive-by parade of antique vehicles, Jeeps, tractors, trucks – and of course, Thomas the Tank Engine! The parade wound its way through the Port, Bond Head, and the main part of the village. Afterwards, some vehicles were on display on King Ave. between North and Mill Streets, which was closed to traffic for the afternoon.

Photos by Willie Woo


Follow us

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

Throwback Thursday. Great read!

🔥 Carveth Motors and the Old Fire Hall 🔥
By Myno Van Dyke

Recently, our former Newcastle Fire Hall on King Avenue East was demolished. The building became the local firehall just after the establishment of the Region of Durham in 1974. The Village needed a new firehall and of course, the usual issue was coming up with enough money to build one.

A local real estate agent, Patsy Reid, had listed the former Carveth Motors building and made a sales pitch to what was then the “Town of Newcastle” (later called the Municipality of Clarington). The Carveth Motors location was perfect, and the former Ford/Mercury dealership was in relatively good condition, so a deal was made and it became the new Newcastle Fire Hall.

In 1948, Rodney Carveth, formerly of MacSwain Motors in Acton, Ontario, purchased the BA gas station on the north side of King from Mr. Harold Carr. Around 1953 Carveth had a “dispute” with the BA company and sold the garage (I believe it was to Eastman Steeves). He moved across the road, where he took over a small garage, expanded it with extra bays and also included an apartment upstairs for himself and his family. This became Carveth Motors, with a Ford/Mercury franchise. Mr. Carveth retired around 1974 and eventually moved to the Peterborough area.

When the Town of Newcastle purchased the property in 1974, it was refitted for a “volunteer” fire hall. Eventually the fire trucks got almost too large to fit in the doors with only an inch or two of clearance. In 2014, a new replacement fire hall was built on the south side of King, just east of Cobbledick Road. The Municipality of Clarington utilized the old building for storage, and the parking area in front was also used for a number of years as a turnaround for the GO bus. In 2021 the building was demolished.
... See MoreSee Less

Throwback Thursday.  Great read! 

🔥 Carveth Motors and the Old Fire Hall 🔥
By Myno Van Dyke 

Recently, our former Newcastle Fire Hall on King Avenue East was demolished. The building became the local firehall just after the establishment of the Region of Durham in 1974. The Village needed a new firehall and of course, the usual issue was coming up with enough money to build one. 

A local real estate agent, Patsy Reid, had listed the former Carveth Motors building and made a sales pitch to what was then the “Town of Newcastle” (later called the Municipality of Clarington). The Carveth Motors location was perfect, and the former Ford/Mercury dealership was in relatively good condition, so a deal was made and it became the new Newcastle Fire Hall.

In 1948, Rodney Carveth, formerly of MacSwain Motors in Acton, Ontario, purchased the BA gas station on the north side of King from Mr. Harold Carr. Around 1953 Carveth had a “dispute” with the BA company and sold the garage (I believe it was to Eastman Steeves). He moved across the road, where he took over a small garage, expanded it with extra bays and also included an apartment upstairs for himself and his family. This became Carveth Motors, with a Ford/Mercury franchise. Mr. Carveth retired around 1974 and eventually moved to the Peterborough area. 

When the Town of Newcastle purchased the property in 1974, it was refitted for a “volunteer” fire hall. Eventually the fire trucks got almost too large to fit in the doors with only an inch or two of clearance. In 2014, a new replacement fire hall was built on the south side of King, just east of Cobbledick Road. The Municipality of Clarington utilized the old building for storage, and the parking area in front was also used for a number of years as a turnaround for the GO bus. In 2021 the building was demolished.Image attachmentImage attachment
Load more